When people think of vein disease, they picture varicose and spider veins. But vein diseases can manifest as serious medical conditions. Deep vein thrombosis (DVT) or blood clots, and phlebitis (vein inflammation or blood clots close to the skin’s surface) can be life threatening if not treated. Peripheral venous disease (when vein valves fail to open and close properly) can also progress into dangerous conditions if not treated by a vein specialist.
There are many misconceptions about varicose veins and vein disease. Here are five you should know about:
- Varicose veins are painless – They can be, but varicose veins can also cause aching, fatigue, heaviness and cramping in the legs. Many of these symptoms can indicate an underlying medical issue.
- Vein disease is a part of getting older – While advancing age increases your risk of vein disease, a large part of the disease is genetic. If someone in your immediate family has varicose veins, or even spider veins, this puts you at a greater risk for developing them.
- Only older women get vein disease – Since heredity plays a major factor in vein disease, some people develop it at a young age, even as a teen. Plus, an estimated 40 percent of men have vein disease. However, women are more likely to seek treatment than men, due to another popular misconception that varicose veins are cosmetic issues.
- Only overweight people have vein disease – Yes, being overweight is a risk factor for the development of vein disease. But it’s not the only reason people get vein disease. Many active people who maintain a healthy weight still suffer from varicose veins and spider veins.
- Invasive surgery is the only way fix varicose veins – Not anymore. Today, there are minimally invasive procedures that can effectively “close down” varicose veins and redirect blood flow to healthy, functioning veins. At Carolina Vein Specialists, we perform Endovenous Laser Ablation (EVLT). We also offer the “gold standard” for spider vein treatment — sclerotherapy— among many other advanced procedures.
What about insurance?
For underlying medical issues, a determination of coverage is made by your insurance provider, and will vary from plan to plan. Requirements are changing for 2017. But rest assured, our friendly, diligent staff will work with you and your insurance provider to ensure you receive the most possible coverage.
Expert solutions for vein disease in Greensboro and Winston-Salem
If your daily activities are interrupted by heavy or achy legs, swelling, itching, cramping or restless legs when you sleep, the experts at Carolina Vein Specialists can help — even if you don’t have visible veins.
Our experienced, highly credentialed team offers the most advanced, minimally invasive, office-based procedures to treat all types of vein problems. Most people are back on their feet and able to enjoy light activities the same day they have a procedure. From diagnosis through aftercare, we’re with you every step of the way to help you meet your treatment goals.
Take the first step toward looking and feeling your best: Schedule your appointment by calling 336-218-8346 or click here to use our online form.